Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Captive Audiences



Matthew B. Crawford writes

A FEW years ago, in a supermarket, I swiped my bank card to pay for groceries. I watched the little screen, waiting for its prompts. During the intervals between swiping my card, confirming the amount and entering my PIN, I was shown advertisements. Clearly some genius had realized that a person in this situation is a captive audience.

The cheapest direct flights between Los Angeles and Toronto are run by United, operated by Air Canada. On the large 777 planes, seats have video displays embedded in the backs, with user controls.

In fact, I flew on such a plane today. Right before take-off, when no personal electronics are allowed, tray tables are in their upright and locked positions, and earbuds/headphones/earplugs have been removed to hear "safety announcements", I was greeted with a series of car commercials and wireless plan ads from "sponsors". It was borderline ... this. I'm not sure if these ads also run in business class.

I guess I prefer the less fancy planes.

No comments:

Post a Comment