Saturday, January 30, 2016

Great Moments in Self-Rationalization


I decided to start the experiment at midnight on Thursday, December 31st. I’d ring in the New Year by logging off, then not use my phone, my computer, or any social media for a full seventy-two hours, coming back online at midnight on Sunday, January 3rd. 
... 
At the end of the experiment, I wasn’t dying to get my phone back or to access Facebook. I just wanted to get back to being better informed. My devices and the Internet, as much as they are sometimes annoying and frustrating and overflowing with knuckleheads, help me to do that. If getting outside and taking walks, or sitting in silence, or walking dogs, or talking with loved ones on the phone got me to that same place, I’d be more than happy to change things up.

You would have a hard time convincing me that "better informed" does not really mean "constantly stimulated."

No comments:

Post a Comment